School Community Council
UPDATE (08/31/2017): The Land Trust Funding Distribution for Bingham High School for the 2017-2018 school year is $237,130.57. This dollar amount includes a carry-over from the 2016-2017 school year of $4,185.57 and a distribution of new funds for the 2017-2018 school year in the amount of $232,945.00.
Bingham High’s current School Community Council has a number of members who are parents of our juniors and seniors. We would be happy to add more members who are parents of those students, but are specifically looking to add parents who have sophomore students. We meet four times a year, roughly once a quarter. Decision making and plan approval require a majority vote from a quorum of Council members. In order to assure that a quorum is available at each meeting, it is imperative that all Council members attend and actively participate in each of the four meetings throughout the school year.
The Utah State Legislature passed a law in 2000 requiring every public school in the state to establish a School Community Council at the school-site level (Utah Code. Section 53A-1a-108). Two years later the legislature passed a second bill mandating several changes in the duties, powers and membership of the School Community Councils in Utah. This law took effect July 1, 2002. In accordance with state law, “Each public school, in consultation with its local school board, shall establish a school community council at the school building level.” Duties of the Community Council include the following:
· Develop a School Improvement Plan
· Develop a School LAND Trust Program
· Assist in the development and implementation of a Staff Development Plan
· Advise and make recommendations to school and District administrators and to the School Board when appropriate
· Create subcommittees and task forces as needed
There will be four meetings scheduled for the 2017-18 school year (as reviewed and approved by the SCC):
- Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Other dates and times to be announced if deemed necessary by the Council
For additional information, please contact Bryan Veazie, Assistant Principal, at 801-256-5118 or email@example.com.
Bingham High School Administration
School Children’s Trust
School Community Council Training's (optional)
The School Children’s Trust conducts trainings each fall. All school community council members are invited to participate. The trainings are not required. Each year they are held in different locations across the state. These trainings are not intended to replace the training you receive under the direction of your local school board or local charter board but provide additional information that is relevant to councils. The agenda allows participants to choose two breakout sessions on topics such as Training for Officers, Basic 101 for New Council Members, Understanding Testing Data, New Responsibilities for Councils, How to Prepare an Effective Plan, Legislative Issues related to Councils, and Sharing What Councils do Beyond the Requirements.
STATE LEVEL TRAININGS - Fall 2017
All trainings are held from 6:00-8:00 pm— Free admission—Re-licensure credit available
- Tuesday, Oct. 3 Bryce Valley High School 721 Bryce Way, Tropic, UT 84776
- Wednesday, Oct. 4 Ephraim Elementary School 570 South 300 East, Ephraim, UT 84627
- Tuesday, Oct. 24 Juab Junior High 555 East 800 North, Nephi, UT 84648
- Wednesday, Oct. 25 SUCCESS Academy Gardner Center Ballroom, Dixie State University
- Thursday, Oct. 26 Belknap Elementary School 510 North 650 East, Beaver, UT 84713
- Wednesday, Nov. 1 Farmington Junior High 150 South 200 West, Farmington, Utah 84025
- Tuesday, Nov.7 Ecker Hill Middle School 2465 Kilby Rd, Park City, UT 84098
- Thursday, Nov. 9 Mount Jordan Middle School 9351 S. Mountaineer Lane, Sandy, UT 84070
- To be determined and posted (approximately early August 2017)