School Community Council
The Utah State Legislature passed a law in 2000 requiring every public school in the state to establish a School Community Council at the school-site level (Utah Code. Section 53A-1a-108). Two years later the legislature passed a second bill mandating several changes in the duties, powers and membership of the School Community Councils in Utah. This law took effect July 1, 2002. In accordance with state law, “Each public school, in consultation with its local school board, shall establish a school community council at the school building level.” Duties of the Community Council include the following:
- Develop a School Improvement Plan
- Develop a School LAND Trust Program
- Assist in the development and implementation of a Staff Development Plan
- Advise and make recommendations to school and district administrators and to the school board when appropriate
- Create subcommittees and task forces as needed
To become a member of the council, please download and complete the “2019-2020 SCC Candidate Application Form” (hard copies of the Candidate Form are available in the main office). Completed Candidate Forms must be received in the Main Office before 3:00 PM on Monday, September 23, 2019. We meet four times a year, roughly once a quarter. Decision making and plan approval require a majority vote from a quorum of Council members. In order to assure that a quorum is available at each meeting, it is imperative that all Council members attend and actively participate in each of the four meetings throughout the school year.
There are four proposed School Community Council meetings scheduled for the 2019-2020 school year (these will be reviewed and approved by the SCC):
- Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Alumni Room
- Other dates and times to be announced if deemed necessary by the council
For additional information, please contact Michelle Putnam, Assistant Principal, at 801-256-5116 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bingham High School Administration