School Community Council
UPDATE (08/23/2018): The Land Trust Funding Distribution for Bingham High School for the 2018-2019 school year is $251,525.00.
The Utah State Legislature passed a law in 2000 requiring every public school in the state to establish a School Community Council at the school-site level (Utah Code. Section 53A-1a-108). Two years later the legislature passed a second bill mandating several changes in the duties, powers and membership of the School Community Councils in Utah. This law took effect July 1, 2002. In accordance with state law, “Each public school, in consultation with its local school board, shall establish a school community council at the school building level.” Duties of the Community Council include the following:
- Develop a School Improvement Plan
- Develop a School LAND Trust Program
- Assist in the development and implementation of a Staff Development Plan
- Advise and make recommendations to school and district administrators and to the school board when appropriate
- Create subcommittees and task forces as needed
To become a member of the council, please download and complete the “2018-2019 SCC Candidate Application Form” (hard copies of the Candidate Form are available in the main office). Completed Candidate Forms must be received in the Main Office before 3:00 PM on Friday, September 14, 2018. We meet four times a year, roughly once a quarter. Decision making and plan approval require a majority vote from a quorum of Council members. In order to assure that a quorum is available at each meeting, it is imperative that all Council members attend and actively participate in each of the four meetings throughout the school year.
There are four proposed School Community Council meetings scheduled for the 2018-19 school year (these will be reviewed and approved by the SCC):
- Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. in the Bingham High School Media Center
- Other dates and times to be announced if deemed necessary by the council
For additional information, please contact Jenicee Jacobson, Assistant Principal, at 801-256-5116 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bingham High School Administration
School Children’s Trust
School Community Council Training's (optional)
The School Children’s Trust will offer three in-person training meetings in October and November that will include help for council members serving for the first time as well as those wishing to better understand how to prepare good plans that will make a difference. No charge and all are WELCOME to participate. Re-licensure credit is available. Open this link for details.